Monday, October 13, 2008

Film Grain


I found this book The Art of Advertising by george Lois above my desk the other day. The book was published in the late seventies which means that there is a whole ton of film grain in everything. I think film grain is kind of annoying because like digital noise, I'm constantly fighting it in my digital photography, but its also kind of charming and it does something kind of unique to the look of everything, gives it a more hand-done look. Anyway, I was really interested in using this look in some new designs for fun. With this in the back of my head I went to Easy Street Records and I saw this glorious piece. I don't know anything about the artist but there it was, film grain, in the age of crispy everything. What I saw was actually a huge sign but here is the album art which has the same look. I love this piece because, like the work from the seventies, it incorporates really nice type with a bit of film grunge–crispy with dirty.

2 comments:

Mazz said...

George Lois is king of the ad world!

Unknown said...

Film grain is timeless. It will always be a great way of alluding to the B&W photography in the late 19th and early 20th century. Photographers couldn't avoid grain in their black & white photography. Today, film grain can be achieved by shooting with a high ISO speed– anything higher than 800. Thanks for the post Justin!