Friday, October 17, 2008

Diggin' It?!


I'm assuming some of you have already read the piece Diggin' It?! by Nick Shinn because it is part the current typography curriculum and I bet it has been for some years now. If you haven't and are interested you can view it here.

In his essay Shinn quotes Robert Bringhurst, "Typography exists to honour content." Shinn then says, somewhat less elegantly, "In other words, read the friggin copy. And care about it."

I never guessed this would be a problem, how could you not read the copy before designing? Right? Hello, my name is Justin Rusk and I designed without reading the copy.

1 comment:

Brian Glassco said...

Hello, my name is Brian Glassco and I also design before reading copy. I need an intervention. Justin, thanks for your blog. Very insightful and a great reminder.