Friday, October 31, 2008

My Fav

Well here is my latest baby. I'v really enjoyed working on this job (though its not done). So, to respond to the prompt, challenges:

The number of items to organize in this small space was a headache at first. To use regular spacing between the titles, photos, and descriptions was creating a really cramped layout and it wasn't particularly attractive. When I laid out the photos it quickly looked like a contact sheet and I knew right away the grid was in, I just didn't know how to fit it all in. Brian had a look and suggested text over the photos and this system was birthed. I'm excited about it because I think its hierarchy is successful letting the person get the most important stuff immediately, especially since there will probably be front / back page referencing.

The second challenge was the upper left of this spread. The space was so awkward and I didn't know what to do with it. I didn't want to just go adding design elements to fill the space, I really wanted everything to be functional. After a lot of mulling with Brian and Bri, pushing up the size and giving some new color really helped fill the space in a meaningful way that is useful to the reader. I think it also helps the reader know to start top left rather than top top (obviously the "START HERE" icon helps with that too).

This project was a really fun challenge. I've never really done information design of any kind, so this was pretty fun. I really enjoyed challenging myself to think about the user experience, I hope this is a good one. Please share your thoughts (since it is out for client review now...)

1 comment:

Brian Glassco said...

Justin,
Excellent job! I appreciate how hard you worked on this project. Good blog to ya'!