Friday, October 3, 2008

Greetings, INK group. Recent geeky -and inspiring- design conversations here at UC have made me evermore grateful to be here working among such talented designers. I’m learning that design is personal and the ups and downs should be embraced. This is why –thank God- each day will be different from the one before.

I found this articulates some things and deemed it blogworthy. Sorry for the lengthy post - I've reached my word quota!

Designers are unique. Our days demand an unusual combination of qualities: exceptional competence, creative instincts, intelligence and savvy. As professionals, we offer the ability to reason, strategize and create. We are motivated by challenge and risk. We have the power to inspire others – and the courage to try.

Designers dream on the job. Nothing is ordinary. We carry a different definition of important. We’re curious, fragile, resilient, unpredictable. And in the process of our work and our lives, we strive to make things better for the world around us.

Don’t let on, but this job isn’t as glamorous as people make it out to be. Reality checks are constant. But we have our moments. Sometimes frightening, never boring. We face questions of struggle and doubt, and suddenly, marvelous times of clarity and conviction. These are our secret moments. The moments that unite us.
Designers take on a daily journey. We travel through new worlds, new events, new possibilities. Where will I go today? What dragons will I slay? And why would I do anything else? This is the spirit of our days, the spirit of our work, the spirit of our lives. Amazing.

Jim Ales

2 comments:

Mazz said...

thanks, this is good.

Brian Glassco said...

Bri, this is what I'm talking about. I really enjoy your response so far to your new work environment, the challenges you face every day, and the thrill of the adventure.